Cabbage is a member of the brassica family and comes in several varieties. This inexpensive, humble vegetable, which is widely used all over the world, can work wonders. Cabbage contains high amount of nutrients.
Health Benefits of Cabbage:
1. Ideal for weight loss! : It has only 33 calories in a cup of cooked cabbage, is low in fat and high in fiber. It is definitely a smart carb.
2. It is a brain food! : It is full of vitamin K and anthocyanins that help with mental function and concentration. These nutrients also prevent nerve damage, improving your defense against Alzheimer’s disease, and dementia. Red cabbage has the highest amount of these power nutrients.
3. Helps detoxify the body. : The high content of vitamin C and sulphur in cabbage removes toxins (free radicals and uric acid). These are the main causes of arthritis, skin diseases, rheumatism and gout.
4. Helps Fight Cancer : Has well-known cancer preventative compounds lupeol, sinigrin and sulforaphane. They stimulate enzyme activity and inhibit the growth of cancer tumors. A Study on women showed a reduction in breast cancer when cruciferous vegetables like cabbage were added to their diet.
5. Helps keep blood pressure from getting high : The high potassium content helps by opening up blood vessels, easing the flow of blood.